ULLL 2017 Spring Rules
VI – PITCHERS
(a) Any player on a regular season team may pitch. Exception: Any player, who has played the position of catcher in four (4) or more innings in a game, is not eligible to pitch on that calendar day.
(b) A pitcher once removed from the mound cannot return as a pitcher.
(c) The manager must remove the pitcher when said pitcher reaches the limit for his/her age group as noted below, but the pitcher may remain in the game at another position.
||85 pitches per day
||75 pitches per day
||50 pitches per day
Exception: If a pitcher reaches the limit imposed in Regulation VI (c) for his/her league age while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to pitch until any one of following conditions occurs:
- That batter reaches base.
- That batter is put out.
- The third out is made to complete the half – inning.
- 5th run scores to complete the half - inning.
Note 1: A pitcher who delivers 41 or more pitches in a game cannot play the position of catcher for the remainder of that day.
(d) Pitchers league age 12 and under must adhere to the following rest requirements:
If a player pitches 66 or more pitches in a day, 4 calendar days of rest must be observed.
If a player pitches 51-65 pitches in a day, 3 calendar days of rest must be observed.
If a player pitches 36-50 pitches in a day, 2 calendar days of rest must be observed.
If a player pitches 21-35 pitches in a day, 1 calendar days of rest must be observed.
If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no (0) calendar day of rest is required.
Exception: If a pitcher reaches a day(s) of rest threshold while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to pitch until any one of the following conditions occurs:
- That batter reaches base;
- That batter is retired;
- The third out is made to complete the half-inning;
- 5th run scores to complete the half-inning.
The pitcher will only be required to observe the calendar day(s) of rest for the threshold he/she reached during that at-bat, provided that pitcher is removed before delivering a pitch to another batter.
ULLL 2017 Spring Rules – AAA Division
LOCAL PLAYING RULES
ULLL Local Rules for the AAA Division (Updated – 22 Feb 2017):
- Each team will be limited to five (5) runs per inning or three (3) outs whichever occurs first.
- There is a continuous batting order.
- If a player is late for the start of the game, s/he will be added to the bottom of the batting order.
- Mandatory Playing Time – Based on a six (6) inning game…
- No player may sit out defensively more than one (1) inning at a time.
- All players must play at least one (1) inning in the infield.
- For teams with 12 or 13 players:
- By the end of the 5th Inning, all players must sit out at least one (1) inning.
- Unless there is a player injury or disciplinary issue, players may sit out NO MORE than two (2) innings.
- For teams with 11 players, all players must sit out at least one (1) inning and unless there is a player injury or disciplinary issue, players may sit out NO MORE than two (2) innings.
- For teams with 10 players, unless there is a player injury or disciplinary issue, players may sit out NO MORE than one (1) inning.
- No new inning may start after two (2) hours from the scheduled starting time of the game.
- After entering the batter’s box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot throughout the at bat. Exceptions:
- On a swing, slap, or check swing.
- When forced out of the box by a pitch.
- When the batter attempts a “drag bunt.”
- When the catcher does not catch the pitched ball.
- When a play has been attempted.
- When time has been called.
- When the pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound or takes a position more than five feet from the pitcher’s plate after receiving the ball or the catcher leaves the catcher’s box.
- On a three ball count pitch that is a strike that the batter thinks is a ball.
Penalty: If the batter leaves the batter’s box or delays play and none of the exceptions apply, the umpire shall warn the batter. After one warning on a batter, the umpire shall call a strike. Any number of strikes can be called on each batter. No pitch has to be thrown, the ball is dead, and no runners may advance. NOTE: The batter may return their position in the batter’s box and assume the new count at any time during the at-bat, unless such enforced penalty is the third strike. (Note: This rule will be mandated during LL tournament play in 2017).
- Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager, or substitute for objecting to decisions or for unsportsmanlike conduct or language and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If an umpire disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play. The stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game. (Note: This rule will be mandated during LL tournament play in 2017).
- Each AAA team must play at least twelve (12) complete regular season games to be eligible for participation in the ULLL’s End-of-Season AAA Division tournament